Welcome to Katophrane Relic; a Warhammer Underworld Blog. I’ll be unboxing Beastgrave which was sent to me for review by Games Workshop Ltd.
As I recieved this extremely close to the embargo date I have written more of a first impression style article and will dive deeper into the factions once I have had a chance to build them and put them on the table.
Beastgrave Token Boards
Upon opening the box I was greeted by three double-sided token boards. I found the quality of all cardboard to be exceptional and Warhammer have continued their high level of finish yet again.
To my excitement I also found two new game boards, both double-sided which brings the total available board faces to a whopping 16! I do wonder if Warhammer are going to rotate out any boards as well! Once again these boards are of a high quality finish, though I do find the artwork quite busy compared to the more muted tones of Shadespire and Nightvault.
Skaeth’s Wild Hunt and Grashrak’s Despoilers Miniatures
The miniatures found in the Beastgrave Starter Set are Skaeth’s Wild Hunt and Grashrak’s Despoilers. Both faction have a rich story contained in the rulebook and an overarching story that explains the Katophrane’s Curse which is definitely something I did not expect to enjoy as much as I did.
I’m sure you can already guess it but these a high quality miniatures designed to be built without glue, and in coloured plastic so that you don’t have to paint if you don’t want to. Should you? That’s for you to decide.
The rulebook has been updated and new rules have been added. As this is an unboxing and first impressions article I’ll cover these in a more in-depth blog once I’ve sunk my teeth into it.
A new addition to Beastgrave is a comprehensive timing sequence! Something that I have been crying out for since Shadespire was brought to life! A heartfelt thank you to the developers and playtesters who made this official!
Beastgrave Neutral Cards
No Warhammer Underworlds set is complete without some neutral cards that you want to pick up. I’ve taken the time to sort out the new neutral cards for existing players. Obviously you’ll want this set for the boards, tokens, rulebook and two new factions, but these five cards will expand your card pool for existing warbands.
- Predatory Instinct – Make your fighter a Hunter to gain access to all the Hunter Only cards. Gain the benefit of dice re-rolls against a Quarry.
- Caltrops – IF you survive an attack against you then you can trigger this reaction to cause a damage to your attacker. This will block Pit Trap and potentially other reactions, combo with Blessing of Argentine to whack out a 2 dmg volley.
- Marked – Make a fighter into a Quarry. Useful if you have some upgrades or gambits that benefit someone being a Quarry.
- Snare – Hunter only Pit Trap.
- Eldritch Haze – Spell – +1 Defence for the round/out of action and cast on a Focus. This is a great spell to Inspire Stormsire and be rocking three defence dice!
I’m really looking forward to getting some games of Beastgrave, and have managed to line up a few tomorrow at The Forge Manchester. I’ll have more articles in the pipeline after I’ve used Skaeth’s Wild Hunt and Grashrak’s Despoilers tomorrow.
Be sure to sign up to the Katophrane Newsletter and never miss out on an article! New articles are sent to your inbox every Friday.