Are you attending a Grand Clash? Want to win the delicious swag? Nothing can replace practice, but these 5 Tips will improve your play!
Jamie’s Top 5 Tips When Playing Shadespire
- Ask yourself “How am I scoring Glory this turn?” – Don’t be tempted to go and hit someone just because you can. You have 12 activations in which to score Glory. Make every single one count!
- Don’t be afraid to throw ‘good’ cards away or use them in ‘sub-optimal’ circumstances. A terrible mindset in any game is to hold onto your shiny ability/power because you haven’t met the Goldilox conditions. Use it, gain immediate benefit, force your opponent to react or discard it to cycle your deck quicker to get a more beneficial card.
- As a rule of thumb, you want to go Second in Turn One, First in Turn Two, and Second in Turn Three. This gives you:
- Control over the engagement in Turn One i.e. your opponent will move into your range if they have any intention of hitting you.
- Back to back activations to assassinate a key piece at the start of Turn Two.
- The final activation of Turn Three; you have a final view of the battlefield – are you in a place to stop Denial/Contained by simply moving into their territory
- You may want to keep going first if you’re playing an Aggro-deck that requires kills to gain glory to ensure you can begin applying Upgrades.
- Learn which board suits your warband playstyle and how you’ll deploy if the opponent rotates it against you – Practice that board and become well versed with it. When is it worth allowing all hexes to meet or bottlenecking? How will you play going short edge to short edge?
- Remember what is in your deck!! The discard piles are open information. By Turn 3 you should have a pretty clear idea of what objectives, ploys and upgrades you’ll have remaining – don’t cycle your objectives in Turn 3 looking for something you discarded in Turn 1.